AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back up power source
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jwal10
Posted 4/17/2023 11:04 (#10190120 - in reply to #10190038)
Subject: RE: Back up power source

Western Oregon
We use a solar generator in our van/RV to power our cabin, barn apartment and beach cottage, all off grid with 200w of solar panels. No propane used. I have separate 12v and 120v wiring in van and buildings. Very minimal. This allows me to only pay for and keep up 1 system. 2-100w solar panels are mounted on van and the solar generator has all systems needed, both charging it and use of that power. I use a 12v extension cord to run low wattage lights, chargers and a little 300w inverter for small 120v things. And a 15 amp 120v extension cord from the inverter built in the solar generator to run a hot water kettle, cooking burner and a few other things. This way I can turn the built-in inverter off because an inverter uses power to invert to 120v. Find how much power you need and size 1/2 more than that. Watts needed and time used. With lithium 100% is available, not 50% like regular batteries. Plus you have portable power anywhere. I just have to unplug 2 cords in the van and out it comes. I have a 1800 amp hour solar generator because I need the 1800w inverter to run the appliances. Our winter cabin has a wood stove for heat, cooking and hot running water through a coil in the fire box from our gravity fed spring. In summer we use a heat coil on the roof for hot water and an outdoor kitchen. I can let the fire go out at night and when it cools down to thermostat temps it kicks on a 200w heater for the bedroom....James
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)