AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which cloud drive is easiest/seamless?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 1/20/2023 11:30 (#10049815 - in reply to #10043292)
Subject: RE: Which cloud drive is easiest/seamless?

KDD - 1/16/2023 16:33

Thanks to all for the responses so far! Sand (or others), what are the mechanics of using OneDrive after you establish your account.

I use Office365, Google Drive and Apple iCloud. I'm like you where I have most of my stuff in Excel spreadsheets and Word documents so when I started going the the cloud, it made the most sense to go with Microsoft for me. One great advantage is you can have two people working on the same spreadsheet or word doc simultaneously IF you store the document on OneDrive as opposed to storing it on Google Drive or Dropbox or iCloud. I believe this is also a feature of Google docs and iCloud docs but then you would also have to switch all of your current documents over to Google or Apple versions. Plus, occasionally you need to use a university spreadsheet or something and if you only have Google or Apple products, those spreadsheets are usually loaded with macros and so on that don't play well with Google or Apple. Choosing to pay for Office 365 gives you the flexibility to deal with that kind of stuff easily.

One of the best features of Microsoft is OneNote. It is an excellent note taking program that has no real rivals that I'm aware of.

The mechanics are:

1. Make sure you have OneDrive app (super important!) and all other Office apps you use are installed on all devices
    • On computers
      • Make sure OneDrive is set to keep a local copy
        • This way if you lose internet, you can still work on stuff on your computer
      • Choose (in settings) where you want the OneDrive folder to be stored
      • Just drag and drop all of your current stuff into the OneDrive folder
    • On tablets/phones
      • No settings really required
      • When opening a document that was created elsewhere for the first time it's easiest to:
        • Find the document in the OneDrive app and open it which will open it in a preview mode
        • Somewhere on the screen (assuming you have the proper app like Word or Excel installed) it will give you the option to open it in the proper app. Do that
        • From then on, if you want to open that same document again, it will show up within your "recent files" list on the Word or Excel app

I have it on my desktop and in my directory, so I can drag and drop files there, or copy to it. But do you have anything set up so when you save a file you are using (say an Excel file), that file goes directly to OneDrive without having to save it locally and then copy to OneDrive?

If you have OneDrive set correctly, saving to OneDrive is also saving to your hard drive. When you update the copy that is on your computer, the next time any other device connects to the internet OneDrive on the other computers will update that same file to the version you just made. OneDrive on each device will be synced and each device will have a hard copy. Actually, not sure if the tablets and iphones have a hard copy. I never use them without an internet connection so I just don't know.

Is it just a matter of opening the file from OneDrive, and clicking save, and not worrying about having a local copy? Is there a way to have it saved both locally and on OneDrive automatically?

Or do I just need to get over the idea of always keeping a copy on my local hard drive, and trust the OneDrive only?

I'm guessing what I said above will answer that.

I have shortcuts set up on my desktop screen for the Excel sheets I use almost every day.

Can I set up a shortcut on my screen to open a file from OneDrive?

Yes.

You can see in the screenshot below, anything that has synced has a green check on it. You'll learn to look for the indicator that your file or folder has been synced. You'll notice that OneDrive shows up as it's own basically "root" directory but it's really just a shortcut to OneDrive within the file tree that OneDrive creates when it's installed. The actual files are stored in whichever folder you want to be the OneDrive folder. So for me to get to the actual OneDrive folder (which I never do) I would go to my "Data (F:)" partition and then I would go to the OneDrive folder within that partition. Easier to just look for OneDrive in the tree so that's what I do.

Edited by dpilot83 1/20/2023 11:40

(One_Drive (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments One_Drive (full).jpg (116KB - 105 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)