AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

christmas gift ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

timis
Posted 12/12/2022 10:43 (#9979025)
Subject: christmas gift ideas

Iowa
I've got 4 kids: 16 (girl) 13 (girl) 10 (boy) 5 (boy) - this is the first year i've really struggled with getting christmas gifts for them. With 6 of us in the house, I don't want additional clutter, or things that the wife chucks out in 3 months. I also dont want to play into societies social media and game culture - I'm not opposed to technology, just the idea of having it solely as entertainment vs actually doing something. So one of the ideas im toying around with is a 3d printer for kids (toybox brand) trying to connect their love for electronics with doing something -- got any other ideas? 5 year old is pretty easy, girls like clothes- but they both work and have their own $ to spend on clothes they want. 10 year old is all about sports, but i also jumped him last night because he is too entangled in sports and not doing the other stuff he needs to do - so I dont mind encouraging his hunting/fishing sports, I think he needs a break from football/basketball - but I'm not ready to turn him loose with a 410 or 22 that he has access to all the time, his resoponsibility level just isnt there yet.

I remember as a kid that I hated going back to school because teachers would make you right or tell about the stuff you got for christmas - we were pretty poor so we really got the stuff we needed as gifts as opposed to anything we wanted. (jeans, socks, maybe a new t shirt) I'm very thankful that we're in a position to get them stuff that they need during the year, but i'm shocked at what kids get anymore (while mom and/or dad struggle the rest of the year)- lots of them get 1-5,000 spent on them (new phones, tablets, gaming systems, cars) -not going there.

Usually I'm the guy who makes christmas fun in our house, but this year I'm just kinda running out of ideas - used to be able to walk down an aisle and - "wow thats cool ____ would like that" - now its like "wow thats pretty cool but I dont want that to influence children"
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)