AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Autosteer on irigation pivots
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

MikeInFrance
Posted 12/8/2006 14:21 (#71092 - in reply to #71004)
Subject: Re: Autosteer on irigation pivots

Alsace 47°52'46"N 7°24'30"E
From all that I have gathered on this site, on the other site and on foreign forums, there are different levels of precision depending on the signal you use .....
For repeatability (comming back to the same spot a couple of days later for spraying for example, or for planting on fall strips, or .....) there is only one solution: RTK
Now, depending on your crop row interval, some signals (WAAS, BEACON when too far from a tower) will not offer satisfactory precision for planting, although some have reported being satisfied with WAAS in 30" corn.
The downside to Omnistar is the long convergence time as well as the sensitivity to low or masked signal (in hills and/or near trees).
I personnally demoed an EZ Steer this spring for tillage and was amazed by hte pass to pass accuracy (1-2") but had to compensate drift over time. Therefore I would first ask you what is your acceptable accuracy and your budget. Precision has a cost, the more precise, the costier!

Anyway, before investing I would ask to demo the material and ask equipped neighbours about their experience.
Apparently there is a difference in signal quality depending on the direction you go: North-South vs East-West. Ask for that too.

JMHO
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)