AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble EZ steer "no terrain compensation"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jimgen
Posted 7/3/2022 10:57 (#9731875)
Subject: Trimble EZ steer "no terrain compensation"

central mich

This issue has been discussed many times in the various forums on Ag Talk. But I wanted to report back on my experience. On our old Tyler Patriot sprayer we modified the wiring harness, new section valves , etc and installed a new Raven controller and new Trimble 500.
And at the time years ago TedBear advised me in the right direction to proceed so a shout out to Ted. Later I added EZ steer and have had it on the little sprayer for several years. And we still have 4 Trimble 500 systems and they work for us. The way the sprayer was set up was the starter key switch energized a continuous duty solenoid. And that solenoid powered up two bus bars and those bus bars provided power for various components on the machine. So when I installed the Trimble I tapped into one of the bus bars to supply power to the GPS /EZ steer. And it worked good for several
But last year (and perhaps prior) every so often about twice in 80 acres I would have a fault showing "no terrain compensation" . Last year I exchanged another T2 etc switched them around and still had issues.
And the advice of Trimble and TedBear and others is most of the time it is a low voltage or voltage issue.
So this year when I did the pre for beans I started to have the issue. So I decided to take the switches out of the power circuit. I hooked my B+ power to the Trimble directly to battery B+ inside the electrical panel. And I hooked my Trimble ground directly to Battry -. So no body grounding. I used a heavy duty toggle switch to turn the Trimble on and off.
So now we have sprayed about 600 acres of bears and the Trimble has been flawless with not one error. When it threw the error you did not notice any other issues with engine or any other electrical load. Just the Trimble. I did not try to find any issue with the key switch or the bus load solenoid. I 1/2 hour fix and it appears to have stopped the "no terrain " issue. It was really getting frustratiing because the power system worked so well until it did not. Prob just a small jolt in the key switch or the power solenoid is all it takes for the Trimble to fault.
So in my opinion when you see that fault the first thing to try is to run B+ and B- directly to the Trimble power. I would bet it fixes 99 % of the problems.

Edited by jimgen 7/3/2022 10:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)