AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Knee high by fourth of July ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 6/29/2022 21:30 (#9727151 - in reply to #9727033)
Subject: RE: Knee high by fourth of July ???

nw NC
I feed silage year-round. Corn harvested in late September feeds until about mid-late May. In early May I'll chop small grains and 1st cutting of permanent grasslands ( instead of dry hay). This makes enough to feed until early/mid-August. Chop the early maturity variety late July and have corn silage to feed again. Then 115 day corn variety planted early June is ready to chop late September. All this through one upright concrete stave silo. We used to fill three uprights in September when we had enough dairy cattle to feed from all three silos through cool weather and used it fast enough to stay ahead of spoilage. Two silos went empty in the spring with the largest silo lasting until September as new crop was ready for harvest. So, there was only one silo to feed from in hot weather and could stay ahead of spoilage. But with fewer cattle now, it would not be possible to fill three ( or even two) and use it fast enough to avoid spoilage, so I run it through just the one silo, which was the biggest one of the three. Works for me!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)