AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Learning about cover crops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 6/18/2022 09:46 (#9710832 - in reply to #9709847)
Subject: RE: Learning about cover crops

Your corn looks very good, with nice color. Like others have mentioned, the rye could have depleted some N although your Corn pic not showing any obvious signs of being short N. Yes, the erosion help rye gives during that vulnerable time frame in spring is very significant, and with the amount of residue you're going to have all summer, that will continue and your ground temp should remain cooler this summer.
I drill in my rye, and start with bout 30# in mid October and gradually trend it up as I get into early Nov. into the 40 range, so my thinking similar to yours in that you don't need a high rate. I'm not comfortable letting rye get much above knee high to plant corn into. This year on a corn on corn field, the rye obviously tapped into the N and some got more growth with some waist high and jointed, so was concerned. Got that field planted 4-27, and the rye had wicked the moisture to almost a perfect level as neighboring fields were for the most part too wet to work or plant. Rye was tall enough it hid the fall NH3 strips, so had to look almost straight down while planting to try and stay on top of strips. Took the chance to plant green before spraying, then sprayed a couple days later right before a rain so added 10 gal. 32% with pre. The pre missed some rye, but not a big deal, as the corn quickly out competes and the post spray helping plus any missed rye dries up soon anyway.
Usually pre joint c. rye disappears quickly, but thought this year had enough past joint there'd be some remaining, but not much remains as the great majority decomposed quickly. When that happens, I theorize most of the nutrients the rye took up are then released back in that same crop year, but don't know.

Edited by WIJDW 6/18/2022 09:47

(coc planted green in mid June (full).JPG)

(6-18-22 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments coc planted green in mid June (full).JPG (143KB - 148 downloads)
Attachments 6-18-22 (full).JPG (112KB - 124 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)