AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much is too much wind to fly a drone?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

ScottKS
Posted 5/24/2022 09:51 (#9673235 - in reply to #9672638)
Subject: RE: How much is too much wind to fly a drone?

+ 1 on Ron's comments.

I have four years of experience with a Phantom 4 Pro and 30 plus years experience flying R/C aircraft and I will push the envelope a little further than some. I will launch and fly in 25 mph sustained, with gusts to 30 mph and the photos and videos are still rock solid and very usable. I have no experience with winds higher than that, as I get a little nervous at those speeds and usually there's blowing dust or residue that isn't desirable for our purposes anyway. Most of my flying involves filming moving farm equipment and what I find is that as I rotate around the machine, I start running out of stick travel on the controller, and sometimes I can't keep up with the tractor going into the wind, especially at very low altitudes.

I launch and land with the "catch in hover" technique as the drone tends blow over when attempting to launch and land. I also do not recommend this, but if you do, practice the technique with little or no wind and as Ron said, punch it on the launch and get it to a safe altitude. When pushing the wind envelope, I ALWAYS fly upwind to ensure that I can get the drone back to my location. Also, be familiar with the flight modes on the upper left side of the controller, I fly in P "position" mode most of the time since it utilizes the drone's anti-collision sensors, but if you get in a bind you can use S "sport" mode to get some extra speed to deal with high winds, just be aware that the drone's anti-collision sensors are off and you'll likely see the props in the photos or videos.

One last thing to be aware of when flying on windy days is the drone tends to get pushed down, so if you take your hands off the sticks and leave it in a static position while you adjust some controls etc., make sure you check it visually often as it will get pushed lower in altitude (at least that's what ours does).

Good luck and be safe!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)