AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I pad keyboard
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/26/2022 07:13 (#9632591 - in reply to #9630291)
Subject: International keyboard

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I wasn't aware of this. Out of curiosity, I did a search on International keyboards. I found that I could do this with my iPhone if for some reason I wanted to.

Under General, Settings, keyboard, English (US), there are three listings for a keyboard. QWERTY (standard I grew up with), AZERTY and QWERTZ . I tried the last two choices and the letters move around. The letters are the first six letters on the top row of keys. I'm not sure what the advantage of the revised arrangement would be.

My iPhone does not seem to have the globe symbol on the lower row to alert of this like the iPad in the original picture.

I'm changing mine back to QWERTY before I forget how.

Here's some information I found on yet another keyboard arrangement:

The Dvorak keyboard, named for its inventor, Dr. August Dvorak, was designed with the goal of maximizing typing efficiency. For over a century, typists have been using the qwerty keyboard arrangement, a hack that was implemented to work around the mechanical limitations of early typewriters.

Contrary to popular opinion, the qwerty design was not actually invented to slow typists down. Rather, the layout was intended to place common two-letter combinations on opposite sides of the keyboard. On manual typewriters, each key is mechanically connected to a lever that has the reversed image of a letter on it. If a typist were to hit two keys on the same side of the keyboard in rapid succession, the second lever on its way up would hit the first on its way down, the keys would become stuck together, and the typist would have to stop typing and unstick the keys. The qwerty layout was a clever design that minimized this problem. However, now that most of us use computers (or electric typewriters that don't use levers), the problem of keys jamming is no longer a consideration. Also, computers now enable us to switch layouts while continuing to use the same equipment.

Most people learn to type on a qwerty keyboard. New typists learn the qwerty arrangement because that's most likely what they'll encounter on the existing equipment they'll be using; new equipment is standardized to the qwerty arrangement because that's what the vast majority of us know. Most people are reluctant to switch because they're afraid of how long it will take them to learn the new arrangement, and of the additional effort of having to switch layouts on all of the equipment they might encounter.

Edited by tedbear 4/26/2022 07:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)