AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

backhoe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 6/14/2009 00:58 (#744406 - in reply to #743770)
Subject: Re: backhoe

I have to agree with the others in that there is no real comparison between a 3 pt hoe & a regular backhoe but that wasn't your question as I understand it. I owned a Long 3 pt hoe for several years, in fact still have it. However, it hasn't been back on a tractor since I bought a regular backhow about 4 years ago.

A 3 pt hoe will be limited in what you can do but for most small farm jobs they will do the job but will be slow They are ok for tile repair but I wouldn't want to put in long stretches of tile with one . Biggest job I did was to replace 400' of plugged tile with the Long. Was a couple days doing it. Got tirong climbing off the hoe seat & onto the tractor every time I needed to move. In such circumstances it really helps to have someone on the tractor while you run the hoe .

I have also removed trees & stumps with the Long but again, it was a slow job & when encountering large roots I would have to cut them with an ax first.

You also need to be carefull with a 3pt hoe. I once broke the top link pin as I was starting to bring a bucket of dirt out of a tile trench. Luckily I was only about a foot off the bottom of the trench. Even so the jolt was almost enouch to throw me over the controls. I hate to think what would have happened if the bucket would have been 3-4' off the bottom of the trnch.

Best thing I can say about a 3 pt hoe is that they are better than a long handled shovel or spade - barely. Neverthe less they have their place and if that's what fits your budget & needs I would go that way. We just outgrew ours.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)