AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Substantial spraying with ATV or UTV (Gator, etc)?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

David in MD
Posted 6/12/2009 21:28 (#743066 - in reply to #742942)
Subject: RE: Substantial spraying with ATV or UTV (Gator, etc)?

I spray several hundred acres a year with a Honda Rancher (350 I think) and a 200 gallon pull type sprayer with 40 ft booms. With the tank full I can spray 8 mph in second gear. At half full I can get to third gear and 13 mph. I'm sure a bigger atv would go faster. My sprayer is a tricycle riding on three 15" race car tires. The tricycle arangement keeps all the weight off the atv. If I get stuck I unhook the atv, reposition it on dryer ground, and snatch the sprayer out with a long rope. The pump is a single piston John Blue ground driven pump which can be shut off with a pull rope. Agitation is with a 2 gpm 12 volt diaphram pump which should be bigger. I would never use this to spray atrazine or anything else that is difficult to keep suspended. My sprayer never had a foam marker but I've rigged up my EZ Guide on the atv. This sprayer is so simple to hook up and go that it's my first choice if I only have a little bit to do. It's great in tall hay as it's so light in a couple of days the tracks dissappear. This spring I was running the atv sprayer while Dad was running the pull type putting the last shot of N on wheat and I can still see his tracks in the wheat but I can't see the atv sprayer tracks. My only complaint is my throttle thumb gets numb after several hours of use. To me the Honda is just a little tractor, couldn't imagine riding the thing just for fun.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)