AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Head...again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

johns_79
Posted 6/10/2009 19:39 (#740137 - in reply to #740061)
Subject: Re: Corn Head...again

Windom, MN
The 800 is getting to be an old head, but pretty indestructable. The 900 came later, and from what I heard they had some problems with gerboxes. to save weight, they used aluminum, which was a bad idea. None of that I claim as fact, maybe an experet could tell you more about the 900, but some guys around here had bad luck with them. I thought the 1000 series started with the merger, but it may have been later like 1986. They are also a good head. They came with the waterpump bearings, and the drive sprockets had a nut on them instead of a roll pin through them They are all the same basic head, with what I would call minor updates.

We still have an 863, but don't use it much anymore because it needs some work, but like it in down corn when the geringhoff doesn't do a good job. It has a lot of updates, we went through the gearboxes, put the 1000 style sprockets on, and we no longer have to grease every row. The thing we love about it is the fact it drives from both sides. Most 6 rows only drive from one side, and there is a double link chain on the 1063. In tough years, guys break this chain, and we rarely do as one side only drives 3 rows.

I don't know how many acres of corn you have, but any of these would be a great head. Just don't buy one that is worn out, because it cost us 5k to completely rebuild our head (by the shop), and that was 4 years ago, so I'm sure it's more now. Just keep oil in the gearboxes and they'll never fail.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)