AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bobby Greif Sprayer History - Not War & Peace II
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jb12string
Posted 6/10/2009 16:44 (#740000 - in reply to #739237)
Subject: Re: Bobby Greif Sprayer History - Not War & Peace II

At some point before I was born, actually probably about the time my Dad was born, my grandfather had my uncle, the welder, make a sprayer rig for him to use on our Massey Ferguson 65. He had the booms mounted to a bracket out front, probably about 20 feet on each side plus a center boom. They were galvanized wet booms and they were supported by chain like what comes with flourescent shop light fixtures, each one had a twist tie tied somewhere on it to clean the nozzles when they got clogged. The tank is on a two wheeled cart, I don't know what the original was, but I know it is about a 300 gallon green poly tank now. Had a PTO pump and the TeeJet directovalve mounted on a post on the hitch where you could reach it from the seat. We haven't used it in probably 8 years or so, the fittings that mounted the booms were scavanged from a john deere sprayer and made out of cast iron, they broke twice, had it fixed once, then Dad had to keep stopping every 30 feet to clean the nozzles, hit a patch of some high weeds and the boom mount broke again and we called a custom applicator, they pumped our tank out , filled up with the rest of our material and sprayed everything but about 10 acres in the middle of our best field. We gave them a rough estimate of how many acres we had and gave him the material, he went out in to the field to spray, did his thing and left, about 2 weeks later, we noticed that there was absolutely 0 weed control in the big field, so we called them about it, the answer was, well, our acre meter said forty, so he quit. When I called them, I told them we have about 40 acres, (its actually 44) I had plenty of material left for them to spray, but they left without saying a word. Needless to say, that was the last time they were in our fields. We have toyed with the idea of building or rebuilding our sprayer, but Dads license has exprired and for 44 acres, we figure the price of getting it done is almost worth the headache of doing it yourself and the cost of building somthing that will get as good of a job.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)