AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sprayers...PT or SP???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tiny42ND
Posted 6/10/2009 02:56 (#739219)
Subject: Sprayers...PT or SP???

Hey guys/gals. I am looking for some guidance on which type of sprayer you think would fit the farm I work on the best. We farm about 3000 acres total with the breakdown of crops being: 700 corn, 600 grains, 100 alfalfa, 1600 soybeans. These vary from year to year, but this is the base pattern we follow. We have in the past had a local custom outfit spray all of our acres. Spraying some crops 3 times counting round-up and aphids. This total acreage can some years push 8000 acres. Now, simple math tells me that this is an expensive practice to continue. In the past we had sprayed all our acres but with the change of crops, and not having the labor needed the boss made the change to go custom. Getting that out of the way, we have a 55 CAT that is doing nothing but sitting in the shed during spray season. Buying a pull-type sprayer will give that tractor something to do and will keep our maintenance of engines the same. Purchasing a self-propelled sprayer brings a whole additional engine on the farm plus doesn't utilize our existing equipment. On average used PT sprayers are about a 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a SP sprayer. Is the added versatility and maneuverability worth that much? Can you really get more done in a day with a SP unit? I would like to stay with 90Ft booms as we have some river fields as well as places were those power poles seem to "move" on there own. As far as solution capacity, something in that 1500 gallon range would be good. That way I could spray an entire quarter on a single fill. I know what the right decision is but still wanted to see what your opinions are. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)