AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

9600 owners beware-final drive!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

myfarm
Posted 6/2/2009 21:16 (#730723)
Subject: 9600 owners beware-final drive!!!

During last fall harvest, I was unfortunate to have the outer bearing fail on the RH final of my 9600. I was moving down the highway at the time and heard the noise increase. I was able to get off the road with just a leaning wheel, but still ruined the axle and the outer case half. This was at about 2700 engine hours. We couldn't tell what started the failure on the bearing. It had plenty of grease in the area. It just seemed to happen pretty quickly. Any way, this spring, we jacked the other side to check for slack, and sure enough it felt pretty loose. Just to be safe, we disassembled it and found that the outer race of the outer bearing was severely scored in about a 4 in. area. It appears that this race was not properly tempered in the mfg. process, and I now am wondering if there may be a large number of them in the final drives of these machines. This is a machine in the 666000 serial range. It is the regular final drive, not the planetary drive. It may be a good idea for you owners to jack your machines up and check this. It could save a lot of expense to catch it early.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)