AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

8670 Ford Genesis set on 120" for spraying
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 5/26/2009 22:38 (#724039 - in reply to #723709)
Subject: 4630

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
The 4630 is a 1976 Powershift.

Inside wheel casting are Heavy Offset Cast. They are dished in, wheel in, but the blocks are on the outside.
Why do 90% of the pre 55 series Deeres have the nut on the outside?

Outer castings are offset cast, salvage yard. I think they were on a 8430. 12 not 16 bolts, in four groups of three.
BTW: I purchased the casting before the hand deal. Had not picked them up. Hauled them home last summer. About the first of March I decided best get them on. Well in shape, then on.
Could not get one of the jack bolts to turn. Took it to Van-Wall.
After getting the bolt out, they asked what I paid for them. ‘You better take that wheel back and get another, bad treads‘.
Salvage yard gave me another, and checked the treads first.

Got them on. Used the rims and tires from the burnt 2-105.
Everything on the outer wheels is out the max.

After getting that job done, I said, ‘I just did something that most 35 year old farmers would not even try. And I am almost 66, with one bad hand, and two bad arms. I can farm just fine!’

I probably would have done the NH3 with the 4630, but it was on the planter - seven hydraulic hoses, six cables. Just did not want to unhook.
Plus, with all the planter stuff in the cab, I did not know were to put the Raven NH3 control.
And I was not all done getting the planter ready.

2-135 got the job, quieter than the Oliver.

Planting with the 4630 vs. the White 2-105
My 2-105 pulled a 12 row planter from 1983 thru 2006.
About 99% of the time I turned at the headlands without touching the throttle or clutch.
Planted in 4th with the over/under in over. Close to the headland I would bump the 3-speed into under, do the turn, bump it back up.
My right hand would be on both hydraulic levers. I could work both levers really easy. The left hand turned the wheel.

In 2007 with the 4630 I soon discovered I had to look to see what gear I was in, both going down, and back up. Plus I never could get the hydraulic levers to be as handy as the 105.
Most of the time the Deere levers would detent and I would not have to hold them. But not all the time.
When you are about 20 rods into a pass and you discover the planter is down far enough for the clutch to engage, but not far enough to planter - you keep your hand on that lever until the planter is down.
That is why I set the wisker-switch on the Rawson so low.

The full power shift is real nice when you come to a rough grass waterway, or some other reason to slow way down. Also if you have to back up.

It was nice having AC in the planter tractor for the first time in I don’t know how long. And the 4630 has a not very old and pretty good set of insulation in that cab.

I have planted with the White 2-155 and the Allis-Chalmers 7080. Much preferred the 2-105 over either of those.

Two years ago I figured I just was not use to the 4630 - It will become as handy as the 2-105.

In 2009 I soon gave up on the not touching the throttle or clutch at the ends. Now I go all the way to the headlands in 6th.
Stop with the left foot.
Work both H-levers with the right hand.
Down shift into 4th or 3rd with the right.
Back to moving I do not stop to lower.
Powershift up after the marker is down.

Between the hand and the age it is time to quit flying around the headlands.

I have never had a big load on the 4630, except one time.
One of my diggers is 38’, it needed to be moved. I hooked the 4630 on, and pulled it out of the way.
Dropped it in the ground, and the 4630 did pretty darn good.
One set of 18.4R-38 radials, pretty sure I had gotten rid of the tire water by then. But in the easier going it was fine until slip got her.
It could be turned up.

Sure is a nice tractor on the grain cart. 7th gear wide open will get you back to the combine PDQ. Never came in that fast, probably 6th.

(2009_05050031.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2009_05050031.JPG (86KB - 89 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)