AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 600A sprayer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

peanut farmer
Posted 5/17/2009 08:17 (#716164 - in reply to #715855)
Subject: RE: JD 600A sprayer

SE Georgia
My Daddy got a new one in the mid to late 60s ,I was born in 73,so I think the date is about right.We still have it,but have quit running it in the last 10 or so years.The motor ran fine for a gas motor until it got in tall corn when from time to time it would vapor lock. It just couldn't get much air down around the motor,and it would get pretty hot around the carb. It also runs 60H drive chains which will jump off at the most inopportune times. The chain usually falls off the top sprocket and ends up in a pile in the bottom of the leg. Then we took a wire or rope and made some sort of hook and went in through the round inspection hole at the top of the leg to go fish the chain out of the oil in the bottom of the leg,We finally cut a big hole in the bottom of the leg so we could get the chain out easier. We put the hole in the inside of the leg and put a plate with a gasket on it to keep the oil in. The hiboy handles real well and is not bad to drive. They all came with that deere pressure regulator ,on off,cast iron thing with two handles that cut the spray on and off that leaked most of the time and was expensive to fix,but that can be adapted to something better fairly easily. I remember Daddy had that 600A and a 300 Hahn both with 54' booms and they sure looked huge at the time. Daddy said he was prouder of the 600 than if we got a new 4930 today. He sprayed 25000 acres a year with the two,mainly cotton before boll weevil eradication, so they sprayed all summer long. The hahn was a faster sprayer,but keeping it right side up was a challenge. Sorry for the rambling but if you have any specific questions I will be glad to try to help. Will
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)