AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scored piston on DT466?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rex Hellwig
Posted 5/16/2009 22:58 (#715931 - in reply to #715629)
Subject: RE: Scored piston on DT466?

I suppose somewhere, an injector failure caused a problem down belowfor someone. For what it is worth, I have never seen it happen. That claim will cover a lot of years and more brand names than I can quickly recall. Here is what I have seen that might cause this:

- Parts dirty/damaged during assembly
- A sudden load on a cold engine
- Coolant in the oil
- Overheat
- A worn cam lobe on that cylinder or anything else that results in short valve lift will do this. { Do check this on a 400 series IH- either valve. It will overheat that cylinder }
- Piston spray jet plugged
- Oil pressure low.
- Wrong liner to block o-rings, or using petroleum based lube to install silicon rubber o-rings
- Damage to the liner bore in the block. .... I used to do some follow-up repairs for a guy who would brag about not needing a sleeve puller to overhaul his customer's engines. His tools to remove sleeves consisted of a length of 3/4 inch shaft, and a four pound hammer. All was well until age got the best of his vision. Then he would "miss" with the driver and kiss the block with a big dent right below the o-ring grooves. This slight damage to the lower area of the block would be enough to distort the new sleeve into an eggshaped condition. The first time a good hard load was applied, the results looked just like your pics. I know this sounds crude, but I could usually fix this with a die-grinder, a lot of cleaning, and one new piston/sleeve.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)