AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

shelborn reynolds stripper head.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

crowbar
Posted 5/16/2009 17:16 (#715617 - in reply to #715586)
Subject: RE: shelborn reynolds stripper head.

Hazelton, Kansas

Fixer:

I haven't run your model, but I assume rotor speeds are similar. I have run a CX-84 and a CVS-28 on JD-9600s.

1. I think the manuals for some models are downloadable from S-R web site, but I'm not sure.

2. We started with ~650 rpm on the rotors. That was too fast for our conditions, and we were spraying more out the front than I liked. The S-R guys visited us one afternoon, and had us down to 400-500 by the end of the day. Losses were much lower at the lower speeds.

3. Rotor speed depends on crop conditions. The S-R guys said to leave a few glumes (chaff) on the head; if you are stripping the head totally bare, you are probably running the rotor too fast. Faster ground speed requires faster rotor RPM.

4. Strippers require more power than a straight head. I think the Deere guys would recommend a thorough flush of the reverser gearbox, and changing to synthetic gear lube. In my experience, the lube in reverser boxes tends to go out of condition quickly, and you may be surprised at how much crud will come out if you flush it.

5. You might want to do a checkup on the electric header/feederhouse clutch. At least watch your rotor rpm closely for signs of clutch slippage the first few days you run the stripper (especially if you run the stripper in hard threshing wheat). We smoked one of these clutches last year while driving a stripper, but it was old and probably had some infirmities anyway.

Thats more than I know.

MDS

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)