AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PAST and PRESENT OWNERS OF STEIGERS.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 5/10/2009 15:25 (#709052 - in reply to #708865)
Subject: RE: PAST and PRESENT OWNERS OF STEIGERS.

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
I have two, an 85 model Cougar KR1225 I bought new and an 84 model Panther KM325 I bought years ago with 6000 hrs on it.
Attached is a story that ran in Toy tractor show about my KR1225 and a picture of the KM325 at work.

Toy tractor show story

"KR1225

Jon Hagen

In The fall of 86 I bought a IH 1482 combine at auction for a very low price,this is a pull type,pto driven version of the IH 1480 combine. I used it to harvest sunflowers that fall but found my little JD 4450 to be very under powered and dangerously light to control a 30,000# combine. we decided to look for a cheap used 4WD tractor with a live pto to do tillage work and run the 1482 at harvest. Our thought at the time was to find a Case 2670 with a pto. Resale on these tractors was poor,so they were cheap. Almost every 2670 in the area was bought for heavy tillage only,so one with the pto option was almost impossible to find. We ended up at the Case and Steiger dealer at Underwood ND, he had several 2670's,but none with a pto.The salesman asked if we were interested in a new Steiger with a pto?. I said no,I am not about to spend that kind of money when I still have land payments to make. He persisted saying He had an 85 carry over KR1225 with pto that had a list price of $87,000,make an offer. I said again that I am not in the market for a new one.He said make an offer, any offer. More or less to get him out of my face I said ok,$50,000. His eyebrows popped up and he said give me a few minuites to make a phone call. When he returned, he said the tractor was on a dealers lot in Lousiana and that if we paid 10% down and signed on the line I would have the tractor with the equipment changes I wanted in a week. This was when Steiger was in very bad financial shape and I suppose needed to convert iron into cash.

15 years and 4000 hrs later the little tractor has been a very reliable machine,in fact the only repair was to replace an alternator that burned up because it's guts were completly plugged with combine harvest dust.

One other thing that might have helped reduce the price was that the KR1225 is a one year only orphan. It is the only 1000 series cougar with the 225 HP engine. In 86 it was replaced with a smaller frame Puma? with a smaller engine rated at 235 HP? "

Edited by Jon Hagen 5/10/2009 20:43

(New old steiger 2002 jpg.JPG)

(seeding peas.JPG)

(Steiger + combine jpg.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments KR1225.htm (8KB - 1267 downloads)
Attachments New old steiger 2002 jpg.JPG (45KB - 1037 downloads)
Attachments seeding peas.JPG (42KB - 1069 downloads)
Attachments Steiger + combine jpg.JPG (14KB - 1039 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)