AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Air Seeders - Hoes vs. Discs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JohnW
Posted 10/25/2006 16:28 (#55074 - in reply to #55049)
Subject: Re: Air Seeders - Hoes vs. Discs

NW Washington
IMHO the Yielder drill was a monster all right. It was a terrible drill of basically blacksmith design. And they are just about all gone now. I doubt that there are more than 4 or 5 still operating in the Pacific NW of the US. They had hugh double disc openers putting fertilizer about 6 inches deep and then hugh dd openers for the seed. They were so heavy that they would break a normal drawbar on a big 4x4 tractor. Put a Yielder on a side hill and the soil looked like it had been tilled with a heavu offset disc. The Cross Slot made in New Zealand is probably one of the best no-till disc drills in the world, but they are very expensive machines and it takes a lot of power to pull a small drill. In the Palouse hills of the PNW they use a big 4x4 tractor to pull a 15 foot drill. And to my knowledge only about 5 or 6 Cross-Slots are operating in the US.
I suspect the number one notill drill in the Pacific NW now is the John Deere as either the 750-1590 box drill or the 1890 air drill with similar openers. The JD's are not perfect and they struggle with heavy wheat stubble in the spring but the meet the need in terms of cost and efficiency.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)