AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Being critical of the seed industry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

P. Huffman
Posted 10/26/2008 18:36 (#491475 - in reply to #490726)
Subject: Re: Being critical of the seed industry

SW OH
I differ with you on the regional companies having access to all the traits and a few genetic lines as being the preferred. I believe that a seed company that has their own germplasm, biotech lab, will put the best genetics in their own bag before selling them to a competitor. This is also what makes regional companies able to sell seed cheaper, older genetics don't cost as much. I know of a regional company that says they won't have LL beans because, they don't yield. If the truth was known they probably don't have access to the trait this year. I have data that shows LL beans are actually outyielding the most current RR beans. This same company last year put out ads in the "Farm World" paper saying that they had good seed germ, and that everybody else had bad germ. Well as it turned out their germ turned out to be as poor if not poorer than any ones.
I don't think that any seed company is exempt from phony advertising. I do agree with you that it is nice to be in touch with the individual that manages the company or at least the genetics. Now I will make some qualifications, the regional seed company is Seed Consultants and we are a farm that sells Stine as a side to our primary farming activities.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)