AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No till vs Strip Till results
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 10/21/2008 12:12 (#487212 - in reply to #487176)
Subject: Re: No till vs Strip Till results

Aberdeen MS
From the reports I got from the elevator..... I'm on par or slightly above reported yeilds. This particular field with 2 different varieties and the test strips did 43.5 ave on 73.5 acres.

No tilled into wheat stubble (fields were extremely wet) were at 42 +/-. Full strip tilled into stalks on a different field same variety of the test field went 48+. 44 - 46 is holding the average "here" from what I've heard to date. I should mention that my 10 yr APH is 43-44.... so I am above in that regard this year.

I was a bit surprised also at the closeness. As I posted in a reply to Dave, much better plant growth/height through out the season and at harvest in the strips vs no tilled. But my stripped portion was lodged to a higher degree than the no till. In many places it was lodged vs not lodged..... every 8 rows. Kind of funny when you looked at the field from the road.

My thinking with the slightly reduced pop in the no till showed germination and establishment problems. That would fit with the no till vs strip till theory of getting the plant of to a better start. But I think.... that situation kept the no till plant "back" enough that they did not lodge. I wish I would have had the time to spend to get Jodi out for an outside unbiased opinion on the 2 applications.

I wanted to see if it was beneficial to strip in the spring for beans or not... this one year test said no. I'm thinking of trying this same experiment this fall on one field to strip in the fall and then take a look at conditions in the spring .... ie... get an earlier planting date for "fit" conditions and if that has an effect or not. Mother Nature will dictate that one.

I have another 80 that I'm heading into today..... no tilled into standing stalks vs strip on chopped stalks. 40 of each...same variety for both. But half got Headline...the other half didn't and there is 8 days difference in planting date...not till being earlier (heavy threatening rain that did develop pushed me to no till.... lower field).

Like I mentioned....I'm intrigued on finding out what is the most economical beneficial "way" "here".

Thanks for the comments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)