AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ouch - got quotes on fall fert.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 9/27/2008 09:21 (#470263 - in reply to #470199)
Subject: Re: Ouch - got quotes on fall fert...GW recommendations?

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
I remember when ridge tilling was the coming thing. They also touted banding ect... Wasn't to long and K deficiencies started showing up, purple corn sydrome. How many ridge tillers are left???I know of a few but not as many as there used to be.
I'm glad when P and K was cheap a few years back I wasn't banding. I could go a few years without any P and K. I am also glad I didn't use .6 lbs of N for my expected yield this year.
This year looks to be the second best corn crop I ever raised. Like I said this spring corn was 6$ and I wasn't going to short anything, infact i put MORE N on and sold some corn to pay for it. I can see the extra will easily pay out. You can sure see the corn fields that sidedressed the USUAL 80 to 100 lbs like they always have because N was to HIGH can't afford it.
We are in a whole different ballgame now compared to 3 years ago and even 1 yr ago.
We can talk precision and banding and multiple applications at just the right time ect... but mother nature still holds the cards. With the price of fuel who can afford to make 3 or more applications Of N??
As far as P and K go, if you take it out put the same back otherwise your tests will go backwards. I know I did banding with the planter for years and have the soil tests to prove it.
I beleive in hitting singles but stretching them to doubles and triples if I can.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)