AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Applying turkey Litter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jon S
Posted 9/26/2008 17:00 (#469918 - in reply to #469373)
Subject: RE: Applying turkey Litter?

John,

No disrespect taken here by your question; I think it is healthy to challenge opinions. I am sorry if I previously struck a cord with you about my questions on humic acid.

Here goes….I can prove what I have added to the soil when I apply manure by using commonly accepted testing methods on the sample. Basic agronomy tells me what forms of nutrients the plants can take up and the amounts needed per unit of production. The yield is measurable. Therefore, observation and/or experience may have some credence especially after one understands what happens on a microbiological or chemical level.

This gets us to the question of humic acid. I have a hard time understanding how a quart of acid (whether it is folic or humic or whatever) will affect change in 2 million pounds of soil. The change that is advertised is that it will increase nutrient availability by increasing soil structure and utilize O.M. in soils that otherwise would not be very productive…i.e. Sandy soils and heavy clays. My question is, how does one make something out of nothing? I would suggest that a manure application probably adds way more to the benefit of a crop than any acid additive can. Humic acid, as I understand it, is derived from decaying matter, so logic tells me that the manure I apply should produce humic acid which in turn feeds “certain” microbes. Which microbes though? Isn’t that the problem with a blanket treatment of brand “X” acid? There are a lot of Microbiologists that are much smarter than me that probably cannot answer that question.

So, to summarize, I really don’t understand the whole Humic acid sales pitch and I was hoping that you previously could enlighten me on a microbiological or chemical level why it works. I looked at your posted links a couple of months ago and it seemed that the only thing I could find was advertisements.

No disrespect here John, but this reminds me of the Nachurs sales techniques. Find a grower that already has high fertility (animal producer), convince him that he only needs a few ounces (exaggeration) of plant food, and allow him to “mine” his own ground for a few years. Leave the area leave him high and dry.

Jon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)