AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

strip-tilling fall 2008
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/25/2008 14:22 (#469246 - in reply to #469210)
Subject: Re: strip-tilling fall 2008

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Thanks for the info. How/when are you going to apply the liquids? On the planter?

With our system in very heavy wheat we have some customers not too far from you that run as you do with mostly p & k in the fall to mostly open up a black strip. That stripper harvested wheat can leave a heck of a wet insulating blanket in the spring if not opened up in the fall.

Then they run our Dawn unit over these fall wheat strips again in the spring to freshen it up/clear and work the strip while applying all or most of their N as either dry or liquid as Greywolf mentions.

Bruce, I can't imagine needing 145 units of N unless you are looking for 250 bu corn (which I guess we all are...) I believe 145 units of 28% would be about 50 gallons/acre.

I put 32 gallons behind the LH coulter only mysellf with no burn planting the next day. At 50 gallons I'd either wait a couple days to be safe or as you and George suggest , split the flow to 25 gallons on each side. The 10-34 can be mixed with the 28 or if you have separate tanks I really like to drop the 10-34-0 down the middle with our center tube so that it gets mixed in thru the strip cross section. The LH and RH tubes basically do NOT mix the fert in but leave it in basically a ribbon aloing the lower LH and RH corners of the worked strip.

Applying all fert with the strip till system gets the fertilizer off of the planter and lets you apply more 10-34-0 or equivalent than you can in furrow without harming the seed. Many times we'd really like to have a bit more than 6 gal (in furrow max) of 10-34 right near the seed for good early root development. 10-12 gal is very helpful in many situations.

And when it finally is time to plant, you put seed in the planter and plant, not running a tanker truck operation.

Jim at Dawn

Mit, by the way, we have a very good customer a bit NE of you who put down a LOT of 46-0-0 dry in the spring with our unit. You can see the video here. This was I believe the same rate they would put on broadcast and they really could have been reduced considerably. There are some good closeups about half way thru the video that shows the urea actually getting mixed in.

Here's a link to the video - some dust but not too bad. Click on "view in high quality" if you have a high speed connection. The best fertillizer application pictures are at about the 2 minute 10 second point an on. Early views are without fertilizer.

Edited by Jim 9/25/2008 14:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)