AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

no-till corn on corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dave F
Posted 9/25/2008 08:50 (#469052 - in reply to #468802)
Subject: RE: no-till corn on corn

Southeast MN
I've been doing a form of it here in SE Mn, some fields have been nt corn on corn for 5 years. Yields run 165-180 dry depending on the year. Corn yields are more consistent than beans and more likely to make money. Beans are risky on one farm due to severe deer damage.

The biggest challenge is to wait for the dew to dry off in the morning as the damp stalks do not flow through the machine real well.

Right or wrong, I put all NPK & micros down while planting. Dry blend is 2x2 placement with single coulter and balance of N is 28% liquid 5" to the other side of the row. Trash whippers clear a nice strip and a spade wheel in back closes the trench.

This picture is from this spring in a 3rd year continuous corn field and the last season with the old 7000. I'm rebuilding a new to me 12 row and have a chance to make improvements to the system. My biggest challenge or question right now is how much 28% do I really need to apply and what is the best method to get it into the soil.

Hybrids are selected on yield, emergence and disease ratings. Roundup ready corn makes weed control easy here, but isn't required as the lumax preemerge works well here too.

(IMG_2697-800.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2697-800.jpg (65KB - 87 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)