AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poultry litter, is it a possible substitute?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 4/9/2008 15:11 (#353696 - in reply to #353626)
Subject: You have one of the premier Litter Authorities right there.

Little River, TX
It is Dr Tom Daniel

Now for my opinion.
The people pushing the lawsuit have an agenda that has nothing to do with clean water.

The poultry producers that I know of are limited by the amount of birds they are allowed based on the amount of ground and type of ground they have access to, for spreading the litter.

Phosphate applied to land will quickly become unavailable due to chemical reactions in the soils. In most cases the only to get phosphate to move off the land is to have the land move also. Any confinement animal operation, one that would generate large amounts of animal waste will have to have a plan to manage the minerals in the waste.

We have much the same dumb headed law suits in Central Texas regarding Dairy affluent.

The problem with these dumb heads is the confinement livestock operations, to include poultry, face many strict laws about what where and how animal waste can be applied.

No mention is made about all the cities and towns with their large scale centralized sewage processing plants. They are required to kill pathogens but not to insure no fertilizer type minerals are dumped into a flowing stream. I would point out that much of the phosphate in the streams of this country come from laundry washing soaps.

The days of animal waste for the taking are long past. The next source should be, and probably will be from municipal sewage treatment plants.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)