AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poultry litter, is it a possible substitute?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

David in MD
Posted 4/9/2008 15:08 (#353695 - in reply to #353626)
Subject: RE: Poultry litter, is it a possible substitute?

Check out http://www.perdueagrirecycle.com/. This is a litter pelleting plant. The original idea was to ship pelletized litter back to the mid west on the rail cars that brought corn east. That didn't work out as the product had a relatively low nutrient content. I think most is now being used by the landscaping and green industries. When they first started occassionally Perdue had to give their product away to anyone who would come get it to make room. Now they must need litter as they are strong arming some of their growers to get their litter. Perhaps there's more interest in the product for crop production with the high fertilizer prices. A state prison looked at burning litter to produce heat and a power company considered it to produce electricity but I don't think anything came of these ideas. Most recently one of Perdue's competitors was going to burn it to power their rendering plant but I seems local opposition, permits, and demand for litter stifled this idea. This spring I've seen several tv adds for bagged soil or compost that stated no poultry manure so for some reason homeowners think its bad.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)