AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poultry litter, is it a possible substitute?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bausley
Posted 4/9/2008 13:06 (#353626)
Subject: Poultry litter, is it a possible substitute?

I am a student at the University of Arkansas. I have no crop production background, so if any of this sounds completely absurd please let me know. One thing that I do know about is production agriculture(livestock) and agri. business. As many people may know Northwest Arkansas is currently in a lawsuit with Oklahoma on the amount of phosphorus that is in the water supply due to the excess application of poultry litter in the Illinois river watershed. If the ruling in the case is against Arkansas, we will have thousands of tons of poultry litter that we will have to find something to do with. Our university has done studies on the cost of transporting litter to Eastern Arkansas and the numbers seem very good. With the recent technology of equipment to bale and wrap solid waste. Poultry litter would be simple to transport and cost would be considerably less than fertilizer prices are now. I was just looking for some feedback from row crop farmers. I would like to know what you think of the idea and any problems you could foresee. I have been doing much research on this and I really think that it could be a real solution to not only Arkansas' current problems but also the problem of high fertilizer costs that America's crop farmers face today. I have been trying to find numbers on how much shipping by rail would cost. Please E-mail me if you have any comments on this issue. I would love to hear from everyone.

Thank you,
Brett Ausley
[email protected]

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)