AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to stiffen a cake?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ILLRick
Posted 3/8/2011 13:16 (#1657945 - in reply to #1657662)
Subject: Re: How to stiffen a cake?

ECIL
It's still a work in progress. I'll take some pics when it's done and see if I can get them posted. I've never posted pics before, so we'll see. We made the body out of angel food cake instead of pound cake. The rules said no premade cakes and that was the only type available at the store. We overbaked the cakes (3 8X4 loaf pans) and let them sit overnight out of the pans to dry a little more. I cut two of them into a quasi cylinder shape using an electric knife and joined them end to end using Alessi thin breadsticks as dowel rods. They worked better than pretzel sticks. Then I put in the oven at 225 degrees for at least a half hour to dry it more, which helped a lot. It would not have stood otherwise. A little frosting enhanced with some powdered sugar to gain rigidity went between the sections and over the body. We cut four stabilizers out of graham crackers with a Dremel and cut off wheel to avoid cracking (cut great!) and coated them with blue tinted icing. The nose cone is made from a sugar cone cut with the Dremel to fit on the top and is covered with blue icing. It's chilling in the garage now and so far is still vertical. For a cake it is certainly unique and a challenge to put together. It measures 16" high by approximately 2 1/2" in diameter. My son has his Cub Scout pack meeting tonight for the Cake Bake.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)