AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bale Grazing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RCD
Posted 2/10/2011 11:45 (#1605368)
Subject: Bale Grazing?

West Central Iowa
I had seen some info on bale grazing and might give it a try next winter, but am also looking for input. The articles I read mostly are racnchers that bale graze on pastures/meadows. Bales are usually placed (without net/wrap) and an electric fence is used to allow access. Bale rings are not used because they say it is too tough on the grass stand for subsequent years.

My plan was to set up the grazing on acres that will be in row crop production. My bales are net wrapped and I would set them on end and as feed was needed I would take off the wrap and set the ring over the new bales. At any given time the cattle would be able to roam through all of the pre-placed bales.....my hopes were that they would leave everything else alone and only eat what was in the rings

In doing this would I need an electric fence to manage access to the other bales? If two bales of medium/lower quality hay were in rings, would the cows still go to other bales (on end with net wrap) and try to tear them apart to get to the better hay, or just eat what was in the ring.? My hopes in this system would be to minimize fuel & tractor hours in the harsh winter months and limit waste by using hay rings that I already have around.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)