AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

treating udder sores
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 12/10/2010 08:49 (#1477984 - in reply to #1477462)
Subject: Re: treating udder sores

Manitoba
We have always had some cows with similar issue. We have had lots of recomendations regarding these, probably most of them would work, BUT. It is just so difficult to try and get at them effectively and in a time efficient manner that we have never had any real success clearing them up. IMO you almost have to roll them (like you would when doing a toggle on a DA) to get at them well enough to do the effort justice.

For us the Cydectin has no effect, we do it regularely anyway and has never effected the udder cleft issues. Probably the best I have seen is wiping the area clean with a dry cloth, not too hard are you get bleeding and then whatever you are trying to use will not get onto the area you are trying to impact. Then a spray on zinc powder. Again it is really difficult to get good contact (depending on the udder and location of the sore) but if you can get at it well enough we have had some success.

I have from time to time thought I should build a special tip over chute that I could easily use to do these and toggle DA's with. Never had time to attempt it yet though.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)