AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What some of our friends down under are dealing with
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

GinNB
Posted 12/6/2010 17:46 (#1471301 - in reply to #1470962)
Subject: RE: What some of our friends down under are dealing with

An area around here is going through some serious NIMBY problems.  The local potash mine is expanding and there have been water contamination problems for whole neighbourhoods that were forced to go from wells to civic water when suddenly the groundwater was getting salty.  They're trucking floodwater from the mine to the sea in tanker fleets on the highway.  Natural gas has been discovered as well, so they're experimenting with hydraulic fracturing (using water pressure to break up the rock underground to aid in extraction).  It is common for septic systems in the area to stop working and sinkholes are appearing as well.  One sinkhole appeared in a SCHOOL PLAYGROUND the other day.  Their attitude is that there's no proven connection between mining and underground activities to any of the problems.  We've had prospectors walk and drive through our crops when exploring and staking their claims.  We complained to the gov't about it but their attitude was "They aren't supposed to do that" but with no teeth to enforcing what they ARE supposed to do.  I love potash and cheap heat as much as the next guy, but there are definite reasons for the NIMBY syndrome besides not wanting to look at industry or watch trucks drive by.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)