AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NE Colorado Guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

DidSomeoneSayDonuts
Posted 11/19/2010 21:02 (#1444204 - in reply to #1443528)
Subject: Re: NE Colorado Guys

waaaay east central Colorado
Most of the expiring CRP I've heard of is going for $800-1200.

As to your cropping question, I do some continuous cropping (with average at best results), but I do no till most of my ground. With that said, a few guys here are continuous cropping millet with good success, and a brave soul or two are thinking about continuous corn. I either have a longer memory than those guys, or they are a LOT more optimistic than me ;)

As to no-tilling into CRP, again some guys are doing it here the last two years with good success. Most of the guys put wheat into the CRP, but one guy just a few miles from me put in corn this spring. Most of the wheat stands have been acceptable, almost all done with heavy hoe-drills, very little with disc drills, and the corn stands have been adequate. But it all works when it rains!

As much as I'm a believer in no-till, that cuss-word'n Indian grass junk that seems to be ubiquitous in local CRP is almost impossible to kill chemically in the best of times. The guys who are no-tilling into the CRP miiiight, maaaaybe, be adding just a liiiitle extra gly to the mix accidentally. . . I'm not sold that the stuff will stay dead, but the jury is still out. The wheat yields into CRP that I've heard are anywhere from 20 to 50 bu/acre, and I haven't heard what the CRP corn has done (most of it didn't finish well). Bear in mind that this last year was a phenomenal year for us, with a lot of "regular" ground producing 70-80 bu/acre.

It's my opinion that CRP ground should be worked for the first year and then planted to wheat, but I understand completely why guys are trying to no-till it. I'm anxious to see what the next few years brings to the fields that have been made productive in this manner.

Hope this helped.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)