AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions about putting up a backyard fence
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ILLRick
Posted 8/12/2010 00:18 (#1311623 - in reply to #1310297)
Subject: Re: Questions about putting up a backyard fence

ECIL
The cedar will stand up to weather and insects better over time but will turn silver within a couple years if it isn't stained or sprayed with a sealant. The treated wood a few years ago stood up better than the current treatment because the EPA(?) banned the treatment. The treated wood will eventually turn tan or darken, it depends on conditions. I put up a cedar deck a few years ago and it has held up well. I got the wood at Menards but finding straight lumber was a royal pain. If it does turn silver a power washer will take the silvered part off. Just don't use too high a pressure. The washer I used was 1200 psi and I held the nozzle back a ways from the wood. Forget nails and use screws, they won't work out like nails. I rented a post hole digger and put the posts 3 1/2 ft deep, the same depth as a water line. I also drilled through the posts and drove a short length of rebar through to help anchor the post into the cement. Don't just dump in a bag and add some water to the cement, mix it up first. This will give you a better anchor and avoid any setting issues such as dry cement lumps or runny cement.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)