AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Field edge tree root shearing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 4/2/2024 19:32 (#10691247 - in reply to #10690996)
Subject: RE: Field edge tree root shearing

So I probably don't root plow as often as I should around tree lines next to fields, but about every 5 years I think would provide good results. I can go down about 24" which may not seem deep enough, but the upper roots of a tree account for the main yield loss to the neighboring crop. I have to raise up often as the roots accumulate and the plow starts riding up as the channel gets wider. Having a second guy on the ground to clean off would be of great assistance, as I'm down and up alot doing it by myself. I had a decent picture showing the plow in the ground and the accumulation of roots you can get very quickly, but can't find it.
So instead just a pic of the rootplow I have, which is close to 40 years old, and a pic of corn growing next to the tree line. In this pic, have more of a buffer between the crop and trees than I normally have, but really just enough space in most areas to get an ATV around the edge all summer. Can have good corn starting in the first row in most areas, but of course the wildlife gets their share. That said, can still get + 200 corn and +60 bu. beans most years even in smaller timber type fields.
AR1920 above gave excellent advice to not run a continuous plow strip, instead keep changing it, which for me works well as I'm raising out a lot to clean off roots, then backing up a ways to restart. Even by myself, doing a few miles/day isn't usually difficult.

(KIMG1919 (full).JPG)

(197 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments KIMG1919 (full).JPG (151KB - 31 downloads)
Attachments 197 (full).JPG (143KB - 31 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)