AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lets try this highschool post again.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 2/28/2024 18:42 (#10644190 - in reply to #10644019)
Subject: RE: Lets try this highschool post again.

East of Broken Bow
Midwestfeeder - 2/28/2024 16:55

After reading through the responses to my below post about highschool i realize i didnt clearly communicate what im trying to ask. My apologies. Let me try again.

There are essential skills kids need to succeed in life. Problem solving, critical thinking, they need to "learn how to learn". I absolutly believe this to be true. My observation was that my highschool did a poor job of teaching these things to me and seemed very disconected to the real world. Im questioning whether some sort of hands on homeschool with work experience would be a better way to give my kids this essential broad knowledge and ability? Im not suggesting simply throwing them to the wolves at 14.

I would say that our local High School is doing a very good job at what you mention. Time and time again my kids will come home from some activity or Church gathering stunned at what the other kids their ages do NOT know or have NOT learned in school.
I credit a lot of that to having a very goal-oriented school board, superintendent, and principal. They set the mood so to speak of the entire school, and the mood they set is that you are there to learn.
My oldest (Senior) is taking 4 college level classes that will count as college credit hours right now. My Freshman reads at a 12th grade level, and does math at an 11th grade level. The school does an excellent job in matching the kids to the courses that challenge them without overwhelming them.

I do realize that ours is in the minority, it was ranked in the top 3% of high schools in the State for academics.

Edit to add: I really don't see a real reason that the majority of schools couldn't be similar, if they focused more of their efforts on education and less on the social whims of the day.

Edited by HuskerJ 2/28/2024 18:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)