AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Square Bales of Alfalfa and Mold
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Curious
Posted 2/21/2024 06:26 (#10633037 - in reply to #10632968)
Subject: RE: Square Bales of Alfalfa and Mold

NW IA
I am a thousand miles from VA, so that is far enough to make me an *expert.*

We make some pure alfalfa every year, but the process is greatly enhanced if we can hit a few days where the dew comes on late, after midnight at least, or not at all. With a North wind and low humidity you can make perfect dry alfalfa here. In my experience this magic formula is most likely to come together for the first cutting in a short window of time. You have to be ready to go based on a favorable forecast and ignore the calendar within reason. Subsequent cuttings being lower in volume can be less challenging, but the break in humidity is less reliable, just MHO.

West of me about a hundred miles the low humidity conditions for making dry alfalfa are more frequent and reliable. Parts of the South-West where water comes from a pipe and humidity can be measured in single digits are the most reliable producers of dry alfalfa.

You could ask your university agronomy department for advice applicable to your location. I would think elevation, humidity and weather patterns along with alfalfa disease are part of a more challenging set of circumstances where you live.

The majority of the hay fields on my small operation have orchard grass in the mix to make drying hay less stressful. Demand is very strong for a bit of grass in the bales, at least in my small volume customer base.

In theory small squares are the "easiest" way to make dry alfalfa. I have often stacked smalls on edge one or two deep to allow the bales to sweat off some moisture. Rounds can be left out to reduce heat before stacking. Large squares are more ikely to be treated with preservative because it is too risky to leave them on the field to sweat and cool due to the risk of rain and moisture coming from the ground.

I have never used RR alfalfa.

(IMG_20230904_151741313 (full).jpg)

(IMG_20230902_083954929_HDR (full).jpg)

(IMG_20230902_221130959 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20230904_151741313 (full).jpg (163KB - 36 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20230902_083954929_HDR (full).jpg (149KB - 30 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20230902_221130959 (full).jpg (68KB - 34 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)