AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader steering in 8200 JD
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/29/2023 08:03 (#10208033 - in reply to #10207296)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader steering in 8200 JD

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Here's a thought. I have a Deere 8120. When new I had a Trimble Nav II installed that worked with an external steering valve. Later I had a system installed on a Deere 8310 (old - not an "R"). In both cases, the external valve uses power beyond for the hydraulic source to the valve, motor return for the return oil AND a load sense line. The load sense line was needed to inform the tractor that hydraulic flow was needed for the external steering valve.

As I recall the install kit contained about 4 different orifices for the load sense line. The choice of which orifice to use was dependent on the model and age of the tractor as Deere apparently made some changes along the way. What I'm getting at is that in your case, you may be using an incorrect orifice. From your picture I assume the load sense line is the smaller line from the front of the valve. As I recall the load sense line is plumbed back to the tractor somewhere on the 3 point cylinder but its been along time since it was installed.

Another thought is with your small hydraulic pump and a planter you may be short on hydraulic flow capacity. I would suggest trying the steering with the planter still hooked on but don't use any SCVs for the test. Try auto steer as if you were planting but with the planter up out of the ground and all SCVs OFF.

I mention this because of the problem and solution I had:

A strange thing happened with the 8120 the first time I used it for real. The tractor seemed to steer normally manually. It seemed to steer in auto steer for testing and calibration. When I hooked it up to my planter, the regular SCVs got used to raise the planter, run the vac fan etc.

I started planting but was along side a drainage ditch so I made the first pass without using auto steer. I wanted to literally be in control. I lowered the planter and engaged the Vac fan. I found that as I tried to plant, I wasn't able to manually steer the tractor. This was spooky alongside that ditch.

I raised the planter UP and pulled out into the field. With the SCV for the fan engaged, the front wheels would turn back and forth while sitting still. That was obviously unacceptable so I literally unplugged the electrical connectors to the external valve so the auto system could not interfere. The wheels still moved on their own. Shutting off the SCV for the fan allowed me to drive home in normal manual control.

At that point, I felt I needed to plug the hoses going to the external valve so I could get some corn planted. I felt that somehow I had gotten a bad steering valve. It turns out that the installer had not connected the load sense line from the external valve to the correct location on my tractor. This was causing the confusion and with the SCV engaged was back feeding the steering valve. I'm not really certain as to why auto steer seemed to work a first with an incorrect load sense connection. After moving the load sense line to the proper location things worked fine after that with AND without the planter. Load sense can be confusing.

Both those tractors were later converted to Ag Leader's SteerCommand (not Z2) through a trade up program. The external valves did not need to be changed and continue to work fine with the newer Ag Leader system. You speak of the Wheel Position Sensor, my installer was not happy with Ag Leader's one size fits all linkage. He made his own linkage which works fine on the 8310 and a different linkage for the 8120 which has the ILS front.

Edited by tedbear 4/29/2023 08:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)