AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to stiffen a cake?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ILLRick
Posted 3/6/2011 21:42 (#1654941)
Subject: How to stiffen a cake?

ECIL
I know it sounds like a weird question but my son and I need to make some cake as stiff or solid as possible. That's hard to do with moist cake. We need to make a cake for the Father and Son Cake Bake for his Cub Scouts and this year's theme is Space Exploration. So to make a really cool cake we are trying to make a rocket out of cake shaped as a vertical cylinder, hence the need for stiffness or solidity. We made a dozen cupcakes and trimmed them to equal sizes (as best as a 9 yr old can do) to stack as the rocket body. I heated up some water, sugar, and corn syrup to glue the sections on top of each other but naturally the sections lack the integrity to stand up higher than three sections without wanting to flop over. Will heating the sections in an oven dry them sufficiently to gain strength? Any type of edible glaze that works and spreads better than the corn syrup "glue" to bolster rigidity? The project is due Tuesday and we'd hate to have to settle for two dimensions. BTW, the nose cone is to be a waffle cone and the fins graham crackers with frosting covering the entire rocket. It has to be 100% edible.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)