AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much DDG
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Big Stretch
Posted 12/18/2010 11:07 (#1492786)
Subject: How much DDG

SE Neb
Several of the neighbors and I are working with DDG more than we ever have. I have a small semi and can go get it from the plant and so I have become the trucker and they seem to think I should know way more about this than I do. Seems like everyone of them has a different idea on how much is enough for a different range of rations and I just hope they don't get to wild and create a mess for themselves. Here are a few different situations I see and wonder about.

1. Cows (roughly 1200lb Jan-Feb calvers) out on stalks that the calves have been weaned and the cornstalks have been pastured like 30 days and the grain is basically not there just picking. Bunks
for feeding out in field.

2. Cows (roughly 1200lb Jan Feb calvers) in lot getting good Late June early July prarie hay in hay feeder ring free choice in pen, no place to go otherwise so just put in lot.

3. Cows (roughly 1200lb Jan Feb calvers) in pasture with prarie hay bale/bales being unrolled daily out in pasture. Portable bunks in pasture to feed DDG in.

4. Fall calvers with calf at side (same 1200lb) out on stalks and have been pastured like 30 days and the grain is basically not there just picking.

5. Weaned calves (4-600lb calves) from the first two bunches in lot getting a mix of alf/ph free choice in hay feeder with separate bunk for the straight DDG.

6. Weaned calves (4-600lb calves) from the first two bunches in lot getting a mix of alf/ph free choice in hay feeder with separate bunk for a mix of 70 bu of ground corn, 700lbs of DDG, 100 lbs of pasture mineral and the rest of batch (3 ton) filled with good clean alfalfa ground and mixed in grinder fed @ 1lb per 100 body weight.

7. Weaned calves (6-700lb calves) from the first two bunches in lot getting a mix of ground ear corn, DDG and Coop balancer pellets (Ear corn 4lbs - DDG 4 lbs - Pellets label rate).

Well I think that gets everyones situation included. I personally have always just used the factor of one pound of DDG for every 500lbs of body weight as a safe zone to work from. I have aways feared over feeding the DDG and burning them out from to hot of a ration. I have always tried to pick a mineral that is higher in calcium to help buffer the phos in the DDG. This is a variety of stuff from 5 of the neighbors and so my info is based on my best memory of their situations so if it seems unusual I might have missed something. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)