AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cost to keep a cow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben
Posted 3/4/2010 09:07 (#1104494)
Subject: cost to keep a cow

North Mo.
This is a take off Jim's post before about culling the notorious heifer that lost a calf. Other than the risk she will do it again, doubtful if that will happen why not keep her? Think about it is everyone that close to overstocked? I would understand if selling breeding stock. You need to do something to deserve a premium. On a commercial herd like mine I will be very forgiving of a heifer that has calved. Not said for the first time breeding heifer she better settle or most likely gone. I would note her and watch next year and if keeping any offspring watch real close for the same lack of mothering ability. I am going to try to list my cost 1. interest on animal, 2.1 Hay bale ,3 land charge [none as she is fitting in a pasture], 4 labor a little sorting vac. and such,.5 unable to think of any.
If I was that close stocked in Mo. sooner or later I'd be way over stocked [ dry weather] or like this year my winter stockpile was covered up for a month and had to buy hay which I consider the same as over stock as it was a unplanned expense. I feel like on most things we have been sold a false bill of goods in cattle production, in selling a open cow, feeding in winter, calving early to get larger calves to sell in the fall and so on.
Don't tell me sell her and go buy one, shoot she might be worse or in my case unable to adapt. True you could keep a young heifer which I would do anyway. Ok hack away. Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)