AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trying something new
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/17/2024 11:45 (#10710077)
Subject: Trying something new

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I usually put fertilizer on any pastures or hay ground that needs it after first cutting or grazing, around June 1. Not a regular practice on pastures unless I cut hay off them too. Never seem to have enough manure in one spot to be able to put it back where the hay came from. I've never applied fertilizer ahead of first cutting or turn out.

Still being in a drought with fire bans last week and strong drying winds, I was glad to see a "100% chance of heavy rain" forecast for yesterday.  Since first crop was about all the hay I had last year and not wanting a repeat of that hay situation this year, I called the co-op Monday morning and was fortunate to get a spreader cart of urea delivered Monday afternoon. 

Temps Monday were near 80 and very windy, so I could see that N volatilizing quickly. Rain was supposed to start Tuesday late afternoon so I let it sit in the cart overnight and spread about 65 lb/a N all Tuesday morning in high winds. Hopefully the winds will cover my usual stripes.  We got 9/10" of rain later Tuesday which was less than hoped for but probably enough to work the N in. This was our first measurable rain in April after not much moisture in March.

So this is an experiment in trying to maximize first cutting hay and grazing in case of another dry summer. Some showers forecast for next day or so but looks like the usual barely-a-driveway-wetter variety.

I see NE Iowa got some moisture. Hope it was enough to help.

One of the benefits of the strong low pressure system coming through was that it seem to have sped up the start of calving. Took a picture of one and saw a couple others in the distance while spreading the fertilizer. I like the ones where all I do is to count them and take their ID picture. This one is a week or two early.

Here's a pic of the first calf of the year, just cleaned off and standing next to mom, a good older cow.

What are general thoughts on early fertilization of hay rather than the typical June 1/after first cutting timing?

Edited by Jim 4/17/2024 12:50

(PXL_20240415_First calf of 2024 150M (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PXL_20240415_First calf of 2024 150M (full).jpg (197KB - 49 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)