AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any mediation experience on denied lower rate crop insurance rates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nextgenfarm.org
Posted 7/3/2022 10:57 (#9731874)
Subject: Any mediation experience on denied lower rate crop insurance rates

South central Indiana
Do you have any experience with mediation after RMA denied lower rate crop insurance?

The situation - I have been off farm for about 30 years with limited involvement until the past two years. Family has has share cropped for the last 30 years since grandpa retired. We have only had crop insurance for the past two years, but the written agreement was standard rates. The farm has largely been unmanaged and uncared for. APH is very low compared to the ground’s potential.

My agent submitted a new crop insurance written agreement this year because I took over the farm. RMA denied lower rates on some ground bordering the Ohio River. This left the fields in High Risk with an additive rate adjustment of 0.090. RMA’s initial lower rate denial letter was ambiguous in reasoning. After speaking with RMA and not getting much specific info, I submitted a request for admin review. My “why their decision was wrong” justifications were data-heavy and objective, based on USGS river levels showing low severity and frequency of flooding during the cropping season and NRCS Web Soil Survey info showing high fertility of the ground compared to the county ground. Their response letter came back about 60 days later confirming their original decision to deny lower rates but this letter was slightly more specific in saying satellite imagery showed multiple flood events that would delay or damage crops. I reviewed the 15 years of available USGS river level data again and still found only a single event that might be interpreted to delay planting as it was within the crop insurance planting date window. This event had no affect in our case, as it was two weeks prior to the earliest planting date, and closer to 3-4 weeks prior to our average planting date, over the past 20 years. The ground drains well following high water and could be ready in a week afterwards. RMA did not reply to several emails or telephone calls in the following week. I want to see the imagery or at least know the dates of the events they are referencing to compare USGS data to the imagery. I know what portions of the fields are flooded at various river levels from being on the ground as opposed to imagery or elevation maps. I am not trying to get over or pull shenanigans.

I have no experience in this situation, found little info online and got little help from agent or neighbors, so following the “if you believe our decision is incorrect” instructions in the letter, I submitted a request for mediation. I am thinking there must be a guide or instructions someplace, but I cannot find anything. I have no idea on the timeline or what happens next. To me, it seems to be worthwhile to pursue when rates go from $20 to about $70, but I have little crop insurance experience and do not know how it all works. Anyone go through anything similar? Advice and recommendations?

Edited by nextgenfarm.org 7/3/2022 17:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)