AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to manage total loss corn residue in no-till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jrichburg95
Posted 6/21/2022 14:23 (#9715076)
Subject: How to manage total loss corn residue in no-till

If the drought in my area continues I will be diverting water away from corn and onto cotton earlier than ever before. On a typical year I will cut 120-175 bu corn and then no-till cotton back into the middles of the stalks the following year, leaving as much residue on top as possible behind the combine. However, if I end up diverting water pre-tassel I do not expect to run a combine through the corn given ear development is unlikely with the excessive heat and lack of profile. Essentially, I will be left with 4-6ft tall corn stalks that would be a waste of time and diesel to harvest. I still want to plant cotton or sorghum back into these fields in 2023.

I do not want to plow, bale, or chop for silage (pretty picky I know). Here are some ideas I have had as with what to do with the 4-6ft tall dead corn plants but would love to hear any other suggestions.

-Shred corn stalks 12-18 inches and leave all trash.
-Roll corn stalks down and leave trash.
-Use a stalk cutter on corn stalks and leave trash.
-Potentially try to have a dairy harvest earlage, leaving 12-18 inches of stalk, but less residue. Then plant wheat into stalks for cover.

Any other ideas or experiences with this scenario?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)