AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle in open lots theory
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 6/17/2022 11:17 (#9709628)
Subject: Cattle in open lots theory

SC Wisconsin
I have a open face building with outside lots, and I poured concrete last fall to double the length of it. I couldn't stomach the building price last fall so just left it outside lots and put steers in it. They are stocked pretty heavy on the bed pack, and all 1000# plus up to fats, mostly holsteins with a few black crosses in there. They were due to be bedded on Wednesday, but knowing it was going to be hot I decided to bed a day early so as to not disturb them during the heat. I used really nice clean stalk bales, they are almost white. Granted we had a nice breeze, but it was miserable hot even in the shade. Looking at those steers you would have thought it was 85 degrees- just hanging out eating and acting normal without anyone panting. My theory is that the bright stalks helped to reflect the heat off the pens instead of soaking it up. I know the lack of wind was the big killer out west, but I'm just curious if anyone else has ever noticed this? Like I said just a thought maybe it's all in my head but if there is any substance to it I'll be sure to do the same thing before the next heat wave next week.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)