AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Apache 710 ransmission slippage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

haymaker
Posted 3/14/2008 21:58 (#334168)
Subject: Apache 710 ransmission slippage

NE Colorado
I was running an Apache 710 the other day and thought there was way too much transmission or torque converter slippage. I was told I had to run it at least at 2100 rpm but even then there was a lot of slippage.

On firm alfalfa ground in a 160 acre field with about 30 feet elevation difference, but nothing abrupt or really steep, and with an empty tank, the speed would vary from 9mph going up a hill to 13 mph on the level to 15 going downhill, all with the engine holding a constant 2210 rpm no matter what.

Alternatively, with the cruise control set to maintain a constant 12mph, the engine speed would vary widely in order to maintain that ground speed.

I do not understand why Apache touts the energy saving benefits of direct drive when it seems it all gets wasted in slippage going through its JCB torque converter / powershift transmission.

Is this the way the 710's are supposed to be? It is hard for me to believe that Apache actually intends for there to be this much slippage, in fact, there is so much slippage the transmission won't even pull down the 170 hp motor, all that happens is that the ground speed gets reduced.

Edited by haymaker 3/14/2008 21:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)