AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mavic 2 Pro ?'s
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

Pete_A
Posted 11/3/2021 19:04 (#9303088 - in reply to #8497619)
Subject: RE: Mavic 2 Pro ?'s

Tasmania
I have minimal experience doing precision drone mapping, so I can't really comment on that. Jut keep in mind that if you are trying to capture contours using imagery then you need to see the bare ground.

Without getting into the whole background saga, the short version;

I'm on 1500ha of cropping / sheep / beef, with ~350ha irrigated.
Currently flying a Phantom 4 Pro+ (replaced the controller with a P4P as the + controller is useless for mapping)
I use Pix4D Mapper on iOS to plan the mission. OpenDroneMap to stitch imagery (experimenting with Pix4D Fields). Setting up a private Google Earth Enterprise server to let the farm manager and our partners have access to the imagery without downloading a 500MB TIFF file for each mission and this will let them scroll through the imagery in date order to see trending.

For rough order of magnitude, the biggest single field I map is 40ha. When flown at 100m altitude this takes 45 minutes and three batteries. I plan my flying to be landing with 30% battery remaining for safety and to reduce wear on the battery. This flight captures ~6.5GB of imagery. Using OpenDroneMap on an i7-5820 with 64GB of RAM takes around 4 hours to stitch the imagery together.

Assuming you have no experience flying drones or other remote control aircraft I would suggest sticking with a DJI product. They are the iPhone of drones in that they 'just work', have excellent software, a huge forum presence for support, readily available parts.
To start with I would hunt for a Phantom 4 Pro second hand with several spare batteries. Try to get a pelican case with fitted foam to keep it all safe. The P4P camera is a global shutter device which is important if you are mapping with it. It also has more capacity than a Mavic for carrying an additional payload. Use this platform to develop your workflow and learn how to fly safely, reliably and efficiently before sinking serious $ into payloads.

My advice is worth every dollar you paid for it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)