AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to Drone advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

rty
Posted 8/31/2020 13:10 (#8467997 - in reply to #8464629)
Subject: RE: New to Drone advice

SW MN
I've been really happy with DJI for ease of use. They are intuitive, and they are very popular so there's tons of info about them online if you run into any issue. I borrowed a friend's Mavic to shoot a harvest video and got some great footage right off the bat with almost no experience. I ended up buying a Mavic Air and I really like it for the farm. Was just scouting crops with it last week.

A couple tips:
- It's easy to get wrapped up in camera resolution/quality. Any of the midrange DJI models are probably more than enough unless you want to do something special. My Mavic Air can shoot 4k, but I rarely use it because the files are huge, it takes a powerful computer to work with the footage well, and I've been totally impressed with the quality of the lower settings.
- Stability: A bigger drone may be better - like a Mavic or Mavic 2 compared to an Air or Mini. But the Air has been fine for me.
- The batteries go down fast - it's really useful to have at least 3 batteries and a car charger.
- If you're not stuck on having a new one, I'd look for something used on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace to save a bunch of money. Probably the best way to maximize quality and included accessories vs cost. Seems quite a few people buy drones because they're a cool toy, get into it for a month and buy all the accessories, but then realize they don't use it much and sell it.
- Get a set of lens filters and learn how to use the manual camera settings. It's not that hard and really makes a difference. Lots of good reading online about how to use the DJI camera settings in different conditions.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)